Your fine jewellery are usually made of durable, sturdy and dependable material like silver, gold and platinum, making it an ideal setting for stones like diamonds, sapphire or rubies. However your jewellery will get worn over time because of wear and tear. In time it is necessary to send your jewellery away for maintenance. However you have much more enjoyment of your jewellery there are some measurements you can take yourself:
- Do not wear your jewellery during rough work or when handling harsh chemicals.
- When you are not wearing your jewellery, store it in a fabric-lined jewellery box away from other pieces so it does not get scratched.
- Avoid contact with chemical fluids like detergent, perfumes or other cosmetics.
Recommendations for Silver Jewellery:
- Silver reacts to the sulphur oxide in the air. The best way to store your silver jewellery is before storing it in a jewellery box, to put them in plastic sealing bags, which minimize their contact with the air and prevent scratching with other jewellery.
- If your silver jewellery gets tarnished, then there are several methods to clean your silver jewellery:
- You can clean your silver jewellery by mixing baked soda and hot water.
- Besides that you can also use special silver cleaning ware to clean your silver: Your silver jewellery can be cleaned by using a silver cleaning cloth or by using a special silver cleaning liquid.
- Last but not least you can use silver polish paste to clean your jewellery.
Recommendation for Diamond Jewellery
- Check any diamond settings periodically for possible damage to prongs or bezels. If you see a loose prong, or if the setting looks out of line, immediately bring it to a professional for repair. Stream & Field Jewellers are able to help you with checking your diamond settings.
- Take off your diamond jewellery whenever you wash your hands, shower or cook, because diamonds easily attracts grease through soap, cream, butter or oil and becomes dull after a while.
- To clean your diamond jewellery there are a couple of ways:
- The most easy one is make a little soap with normal washing detergent and hot water, if possible add a little ammonia, and then use an old tooth brush to easily clean your diamond. After that just rinse of the soap with in a new bowl with hot water and then dry it. Do not rinse your diamond jewellery on top of the sink. If the diamond is loose you may lose your diamond forever.
- It is also possible to buy special jewellery cleaner and last but not least you can always bring your diamond jewellery to us and have it cleaned by us.
Recommendations for Pearl Jewellery
- Pearls are an organic material and needs to be taken with a lot of care.
- Avoid contact with cosmetics, perfumes or other harmful acids. It can destroy your pearl jewellery.
- Your perspiration is harmful to your pearls. Always clean your pearl s from time to time with a damp soft cloth. Use only water!
- Avoid wearing your pearl necklace when taken a bath or shower. As the string might weaken and your pearls get damaged because of the soap.
- Store your pearl in a separate compartment in your jewellery box and do not let it come in contact with other jewellery.
- Avoid storing your pearl to long in your box as it might dehydrate your pearl, try to let it breathe fresh air from time to time. Pearls seem to get alive when it is wear a lot. Your natural skin oil will protect the pearl and enhance the luster of the pearl
- Have your pearl necklace checked from time to time and restring your pearl necklace every year if your wear it every day. Stream & Field have in-house expertise to restring your precious pearl necklace.
Please contact us if you have questions about repairing your fine jewellery.